Friday, September 20, 2013

Live Street Art at Firebrand Saints in Kendall Square

I’m always on the lookout for street art, whether I’m roaming through Allston or backpacking in Europe. In general I’m a fan of art, I go to museums and galleries on a regular basis - I’ll be dragging my parents around the South End open studios this weekend. But there’s something about the rawness and risk in street art that appeals to me on some deeper level. It’s not just art for arts sake, there’s a message in its simple defiance where it sits so rudely in a public space. There are no board members making decisions as to what's acceptable for the community and doling out commissions to friends. Just some dudes sneaking around in masks in the depth of night slapping shit on walls.


The one problem I have with street art is that I don’t see enough of it! It has come to the point where I have to go to a “hip and happenin’” after work spot in Kendall Square to see examples…


As much as I’d rather be out hunting for street art, I gotta give props to Firebrand Saints for hosting the Brooklyn based duo Enzo and Nio and letting them tear up a corner of the restaurant.  Also – free PBR.




















Just don’t call it graffiti.  Nah…I’m just kidding, you can call it whatever you want…






















Not all this artwork is by Enzo and Nio, others have been here before. And just like on the rough and tumble streets - early art joins the latter and eventually it all morphs into one giant mural...



Pop in to Firebrand Saints and check the shit out for yourself, the place is right by the base of the Longfellow Bridge…




2 comments: